Monday, November 2, 2009

10 things about coaching ball

1. The job you have right now is the best one in the world. you will look back when you move on and say to yourself, I wish I would have enjoyed that experience more

2. Never stop learning and asking questions...remember those guys your asking were not born with that knowledge out of the womb

3. Enjoy the process. The product will come and it will be that much more rewarding. If you really work at it you'll succeed.

4. Be loyal to the guys you are working with and for. I read on one of the threads that the OL coach was underminding the OC. For what purpose? Did it help them win? In my opinion there is no place for this on a staff and must be dealt with by the HC immediately.

5. Believe in a philosophy and run with it. Know it so well you will have the answers to make adjustments.

6. While evaluating players dont pigeon hole a kid. How can he best help your team win. Thats whats important.

7. The only way a true team can survive is from the inside out. That goes for families, businesses etc. If you are strong inside your group who can tear it apart....no one

8. I would tell my coaches to coach the performance and never demean a player. I have found that players want to be coached and by coaching them hard they will respond if they know you are there to help them and care about them. This is especially true on the upper levels also. I would tell my coaches what if a player comes back on you? You are in a no Win situation. Take the player aside and keep both yours and his dignity intact.

9. There are no badges of honor for the guy that can stay there the latest. I would tell my staff when you get yourself done go home. The biggest pet peeve I have in coaching is when a coach tells everyone how late he stayed. Those guys are not on my staff. We have always gone into games prepared. Take a look at your watch right now and draw a three technique on your board. Go home and come back at three in the morning and he will still be a three. Go find out a way to block him. You can both be a great coach and a great family man. We had just recently moved and we were unpacking...there were some old pictures of my kids. It saddened me to not have remembered those times with them because I wont have the opportunity to get those times in their lives back. Your kids only turn a certain age once be there.

10. Have fun, its a game. When you look back on your career you will remember the players and coaches. The people you surrounded yourself with. I promise on your death bed you wont be thinking about cover three.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

Awesome site overall, coach. Only suggestion I have is to get into more visual aspects (pics/posting videos)....Keep it up and thanks.