Wednesday, October 22, 2008

DCOHIO on Taking a New Job

The first thing I would say is before accepting any position you really need to do your homework. You need the AD, principal and superintendent...you need at least 2 of these 3 in your corner, to be athletic minded people...all 3 would be perfect but if it's only 1 then you're going to have problems and if it's none, then you need to stay away from that job.

2nd thing - what you are fighting is a change from what they are use to. People are afraid of change and everyone has a different opinion on what should be and how to make it be. The definition of insanity is 'doing things the way you've always done them and expecting different results'.
This is where your booster club and principal are coming together. Your program is different, and they aren't use to it and they are fighting it and looking for anything to knit pick you about.

3rd thing - how's your staff and your kids? Are they still working hard and believing in the system? You're always going to lose kids, they aren't getting the "tick" or the ball or whatever...those kids aren't program kids and you're better off without them. What you have found are the kids with character. Character people don't abandon ship when the sea gets rough. What you're going through with these kids is a necessary evil to turn a program. You had a 2 way starter...a freshman...quit because he wasn't getting the ball? You know what I say "good phuk him" and I'll tell you this, if he comes back out next year, I wouldn't let him get Varsity tick, I'd make him play JV.

4th - no one said it would be easy, there is a reason the program is where it is and the people near the program have no idea what it takes to win or be winners. That isn't limited to players and parents. That may also include the AD, the principal, the teachers, and possibly every person in that district.

But you've got to stand up for yourself, at some point and this has to be over and time to move on. He11 I can't even believe you're on the carpet for it. I've been nose to nose with an opposing HC during a timeout on the field in the middle of the 4th quarter before. We were up and I called a TO to get the JV kids straightened out and he came on the field and said "what the he11 are you doing calling a phuking time out up 28?" and words were exchanged, the official separated us. The AD asked me what was said and I told him he wanted to meet for beer and wings at BW3's after game.

You're a first year HC, you said something following a game. OK...that was obviously a mistake. One I'm sure you won't make again. First year HCs are always going to make mistakes, heck 30 year HC's make mistakes. I can't believe the BS you have been through over this...you have went way further towards trying to make it right, appease everyone than I ever would have.

Say your sorry and that's it. That is all of it. and if it keeps coming up I would take the principal into his office and ask him - how many times am I going to have to apologize for this? When is there an end to this? What's the deal? If push comes to shove, I'd get the he11 out, phuk em, sounds like they are a bunch of gossip hounds just looking to for something to talk about and someone to pick apart.

Maybe I'm not ready to be a HC, this would have already been over if I were you, it would be over one way or another and I would be fine with it either way. They aren't the only school in Louisiana that plays football.

as per the kids? I feel sorry for the kids, but there will always be kids that you'll hate to leave, that's just the way of the world, that's how it is.

Being a HC is not about X's and O's. You have a plan, stay the course, you have to do what you think is best and be done with it. Some will like it, some won't, that's just how it is. Keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer.

That's my take on it. I know this, whether you be my employer or wife or mother, there is only a certain amount of time that you are going to hang something over my head and I'm going to be apologetic about it. After a certain period of time my reaction is going to adverse to an extreme.

No comments: