Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Should vs Hand Blocking

I was a wing T Oline coach for seven plus years and I taught Shoulder Skills. Then I went to an "I" team for a couple of years. I taught hands and worked constantly on the drive block. Then the light went off, I began teaching hands and shoulder skills. For trap, Gap, Down I taught shoulder skills and used the hip of the defender as a landmark. For On (drive) Fire (angle) and reach, I taught hands. For me, I found this to be the very best combination of scheme, the best of both worlds and more importantly; I liked being able to run an I scheme with wing-t concepts up front.

For combo blocks like Trap and down (GAP GAP TRAP) Belly Crossblock (Down + trap) was all shoulders. For Double team combos whether a Gap Scheme or a Zone Scheme, all hands and using numbers and armpits as landmarks.

http://www.hawgtuff.net/

http://www.bucksweep.com/shoulderblocking.htm

1 comment:

The Flipped Coach said...

I am more familiar with the hand blocking but am curious how you were able to be effective with the shoulder blocking running the I formation power football plays. Did you have to adjust splits to better block with shoulders? Was the teaching of two different styles at all confusing to your players? We like to widen splits to help give our RB's lanes to run through, but the better teams we play are too quick and defenders just react around our blockers. Any thoughts?